Sunday, October 2, 2016

Too Faced Chocolate Bar: Smoky Edition




     I started my adventures in makeup with a dear friend, Allie, helping me explore.  It's something we've had in common for the 16 or whatever years we've been friends.  Obviously, that means when I started a Facebook page and blog for trying to be a makeup wizard, she had my back.

The other day, she came to me with five palettes from Too Faced: The Peanut Butter and Jelly palette, the Grande Hotel Café set of three coffee-themed palettes, and the famous Chocolate Bar that everyone raves about - the same one where every shade smells like its namesake.  She told me I could swatch them and play with them for a bit, because had also recently gotten a couple Naked palettes that she was in love with.

I'll get the swatches up on here later.  They're already up on Facebook.  Today, I want to share my little experiment with The Chocolate Bar.  I love a good palette.  After swatching everything, I always see some beautiful combinations.  Today for my day out with some friends, I tried one of those combinations and came out with a stunning maroon smoky eye that was much darker than I intended, but a beautiful vampy look for Autumn.



I'm still working on good photos and formatting posts correctly, so bear with me here.  These are the pictures I took right after application.  They turned out stunning, and I wanted to share the whole look put together, even though the photos don't show off the eye makeup.  These show, more or less, how well these shades complemented my eyes.


 Here's a little close-up of the eye.  There is unfortunately an awful lot of creasing in these next two photos, because these were taken at the end of the day, and I sprayed some Fix+ on my face and was too impatient to let it set in the eye area.  The eyeliner smudged a bit, too. I'll try to set aside time for good photos next time.


I started with applying Strawberry Bon Bon as a transition color all through the crease. It's a pale pink, so it disappeared into my skin, but that's really the idea of a transition shade.  Then I layered Semi-Sweet and Cherry Cordial into the deep crease for extra dimension.  I focused more Cherry Cordial in the outer corners to lift the eyes toward the temples and make them look less hooded.  On the mobile lid, I applied Champagne Truffle on the inner third for lightness, Amaretto into the center third, and Black Forest Truffle in the outer third.  Again, I lifted the shadow up, blending it into Cherry Cordial, to lift the eye.  I also brought Black Forest Truffle down onto the lower lashline.  My browbone is highlighted with White Chocolate all the way across and a hint of Champagne Truffle and the height of my arch, which is really shallow.  I highlighted the tearduct area with Champagne Truffle to balance out the smoky darkness.  I finished it all off with Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner in Blackest Black and a tiny wing and Maybelline Falsies flared mascara.

My foundation is Hard Candy Pore Filling Primer and Mac Studio Fix powder layered with Fix+ for high coverage.  I used Hard Candy Glamouflage concealer to cover my blemishes, but used Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Concealer to hide my dark undereyes.  For blush AND highlighter, I used the Mac x Star Trek Trip the Light Fantastic powder in Luna Lustre.  My pan is almost split down the middle where one have is pale shimmer and the other half is a peachy mauve pink, so it works really well for both purposes.  For extra shine, I applied my highlight a second time over Fix+

My lips are just Mac x Star Trek frost lipstick in LLAP over my naked lips.  Man, I love this lipstick. It's like putting molten copper on my lips.






Allie has ruined me.  These shadows have really impressed me so far.  Nearly every single one in this palette has exceptional pigmentation, and they all blend beautifully.  For 16 high-quality shadows that also smell like candy, $50 really isn't bad.  I just need to work hard to justify the purchase, heheh.

If you want a more detailed review of the palette, want me to check out anything else, or even just want to let me know what you think, leave a comment down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment